Participants completing the course at the highest level of achievement should be able to:
- Approach management challenges in primary health care settings with core knowledge and skills in economic, organizational, and management theory as a guide;
- Pose meaningful questions about what constitutes effective management and leadership in different cultural and organizational contexts;
- Make decisions that weigh practical needs and conditions with ethical, legal, and compliance considerations;
- Use core principles and tools from human resources and finance to address challenges and solve problems;
- Translate insights from self-assessment into personal plans for improving leadership and management skills;
- Identify and consult appropriate sources of data for making sound management decisions;
- Align and motivate individuals, systems, and resources toward a common purpose;
- Design and manage systems that are responsive to donor and Ministry of Health requirements and assure financial and ethical accountability;
- Identify monitoring and evaluation methods that answer key questions about programmatic efficiency and effectiveness; and
- Use active participation in class discussion, activities, and assignments to form a personal and professional value system for management and leadership in global health.
Leading and Managing Frameworks
What is the difference between leadership and management? What are the skills associated with each? How can we measure the impact of effective leadership and management on health care systems?
What is the accountability cycle? How can you increase individual and team accountability for quality work in your organization?
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Covey)
How can you apply the 7 habits to increase your proactive thinking patterns, clarify your values, plan your work more effectively, improve time management, listen, negotiate and mediate more skillfully, create cooperation, and grow professionally?
What are the key characteristics of highly functioning teams? What threatens the effectiveness of a team? How can you be more effective in leading meetings, building teams, and managing conflict?
Supervision and Delegation
What are the important principles of delegating and coaching? How can you prepare for different conversations? What questions should a performance review answer? What tools can you use to analyze performance problems?
How does conflict impact team dynamics and teamwork? How comfortable are you with conflict? What are some cultural differences in how people express and respond to conflict? What actions can you take to resolve conflict within a team?
Influence without Authority
What is the difference between positional and personal power? How can you use reciprocity and currency exchange to increase influence?
What is the difference between event-oriented and systems thinking? How do you model a system of concern? How can you exert influence from your position?
What are the principles of financial management? What are financial controls? What are the roles and obligations of the leader and manager in relation to financial management?
Data for Management Decision-Making
Which data sources are important for purposes of accountability vs. program effectiveness? How do different donor agencies approach the issue of performance management? How can health leaders and managers create an organizational culture of information generation and use?
What are the steps in the project management cycle? How can you apply project management skills to your current work in order to improve quality and productivity?
What are your strengths and weaknesses in verbal, written, and virtual communication? How can you improve your ability to speak spontaneously? What are the elements of persuasive communication? How can you use storytelling to strengthen your impact?